Individual sessions include an assessment, education and an individualized plan of care. The goal of diabetes education is to empower those with diabetes to learn self-care strategies and goal setting, which helps prevent the long term complications of diabetes by optimizing blood glucose control and diabetes self-management skills.
Diabetes education specifically includes assistance with the following:
- Blood glucose testing and problem solving
- Controlling high or low blood glucose levels
- Information about carbohydrates, portion control, meal planning, and carbohydrate counting
- Understanding diabetes medications, insulin, and how they work
- Weight management strategies and exercise
Because diabetes is a complex chronic disease that requires continued medical care and ongoing support, patients benefit from care coordination with the NATIVE HEALTH Care team, and by using the “standards of care,” which includes regular lab tests and exams for prevention and the early detection and treatment of diabetes complications.